Thursday, January 27, 2011

Compromise or complacency

Pick your poison, both are destroying the worlds view of Christianity.

I'll start with compromise. When we compromise our values, morals, or beliefs we compromise ourselves. It's not something that normally happens overnight. It takes time and normally start with something small. People don't go out and start by robbing a bank. They start with something small and it builds up. Casting crowns had it right by calling it a slow fade. I've been there. I've compromised and I've seen the staggering effect. That is why it is so important that we don't compromise. That we take a stand. Even when the people we think should step up don't. People who you might not think are watching see, hear, and remember. We might be the only interaction they have with a Christ follower.

What I don't get with compromise is the long term. And maybe it's just my new focus on giving God my best no matter what the cost, but how can we as Christ followers say we believe what the Bible says, but not follow it. I just don't understand it. And I think it's also my reading lately in the old testament. God wants our obedience. That means no compromise. Run from anything that is toxic or would cause you to compromise.

Now let's hit complacency. When we become complacent we become comfortable with things that are wrong and accept them as the norm. We can avoid complacency by looking at the world through Christ's eyes. I love the picture of Jesus going into the temple and turning over the tables of the moneychangers. It's such a powerful scene. The Israelite people had become complacent and Jesus literally kicked their butts. Complacency just kills our testimony because we just walk by and say it's ok by saying nothing at all.

We can't be ok with things that grieve the heart of God. It's not acceptable for us to say we are ok with things that are wrong. When are we going to talk to our friends about what we know they are doing that is wrong, and maybe self-destructive. It is worth it to say something, and it's wrong if we don't.

Confessions

No comments:

Post a Comment